Skip to main content

THE CUTTING EDGE: High Carbon vs Stainless Steel

I have loved to cook since I was a kid.  I have used many knives over the years and received many as Christmas gifts.  People would buy me what they swore to be the best knife they ever used.  Though I’ve owned some pretty nice knives, none of them stood out as a knife that I loved.  Each one had a noticeably sharper edge right after sharpening.  But half way through cooking, they’d lose it.  Another thing all these knives had in common is that they were all stainless steel.  I had never known of anything different.  It wasn’t until my mid-thirties that I tried my first high carbon, steel knife.  

My wife and I were moving in together.  While unpacking the kitchen stuff, I noticed a couple of old looking knives in a box.  I recognized the name “Old Hickory” branded into the knives’ wooden handles and realized that these were the same knives I sell at the store.  However, I had never used them.  I thought the appeal was their old-fashioned look and the fact that they are made in the USA.  Because they didn’t have the modern, sleek look of my fancy knives, I assumed they weren’t any good.  My wife said that her father gave them to her and that he’d had them since she was little.  They appeared every bit their age but I decided to give them a try anyway.  That night, I pulled out the knives and gave them a few swipes with my honing steel.  As I began to cut, I immediately noticed the razor-sharp edge as the knife effortlessly slid through the vegetables I was cutting.  I thought, “Wow, this is nice.  Let’s see how long they hold their edge.”  All the way through the end of meal prep, the knives were cutting through vegetables like warm butter just as they had immediately after being sharpened.  I haven’t used another knife since.  In five years, I think I’ve only sharpened them once.  I hit them with my honing steel every now and then which seems to be enough to maintain their edge through multiple meal preps.  

I had to know what made these knives so great.  I looked at the package of one that I had for sale at the store and I found that they are made of high carbon steel.  The difference between high carbon steel and stainless steel is that stainless steel contains chromium.  Chromium is added to metal to reduce the potential for rust.  That is why stainless steel knives are popular for applications with high moisture such as cooking.  But the addition of chromium reduces the hardness of the knife making it difficult to obtain and hold a razor-sharp edge.  

Despite the higher level of performance, people generally prefer stainless steel because it maintains a clean look.  High carbon steel blades will stain and lose their reflective quality over time; but this does not compromise their performance.  I guess most people would rather have a pretty knife than one that cuts well.  Or maybe like me, they just don’t know any better.  I cherish the rustic look of my high carbon steel knives.  The nice patina is a testimony to the knives’ character and longevity.    

High carbon steel knives do require a little more tender, loving care.  You can never leave moisture on a high carbon steel knife or it will rust.  The metal is made mostly of iron which is highly corrosive without the addition of chromium.  In most climates, simply drying it after each use will suffice.  But in our humid climate, there is enough moisture in the air to make even a dry knife rust.  The trick is to apply a little oil to the knife before putting it in the drawer.  I hit mine with a shot of cooking spray and wipe the oil into the blade with a small piece of paper towel.  That seems to work great and takes very little effort.  Do not wash them in the dish washer.  This will cause the metal blade to rust and the wooden handle to warp.    

Some argue that stainless steel is more durable not only because it doesn’t rust, but because the chromium makes the knife more pliable and likely to bend instead of break under pressure.  I figure as long as you are not using your knife to pry things open, this shouldn’t matter.  Use a pry bar for that.  My two high carbon steel knives are approximately 30 years old, so I don’t think durability is an issue.    

In researching for this article, I found many experts that claim you can now get stainless steel that is just as hard as high carbon steel.  While I can’t say this isn’t true seeing how I haven’t used every knife on the market, I am going to trust my experience.  I have yet to find a stainless steel knife that can obtain and hold a blade like the high carbon steel knives I’ve used.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make Your Own Organic Weed Killer

Make Your Own Organic Weed Killer The class action lawsuit against Roundup for the potential connection between the main ingredient glyphosate and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma has many people looking for other ways to kill weeds. As our weather warms up, weeds are popping up everywhere, and pulling them by hand hardly seems an option. There is an easy solution; make your own organic weed killer. All you need is:  One gallon sprayer One gallon of vinegar 2 cups of Epsom salt (or table salt) 1/4 cup of dishwashing soap Sunshine Mix the vinegar, salt, and soap in the sprayer. The cheapest soap and vinegar you can find will work. You can use table salt,  but Epsom salt is safer in areas where you may want other things to grow. If you don't care about growing anything in an area, use table salt. Pick a day when you don't expect any rain. Spray your weeds in the morning before the sun hits them so that you can get the advantage of as much sun as possible. The dish soap helps the salt a

DIY Lawnmower Maintenance

DIY Lawnmower Maintenance It's that time of year when your grass is growing faster than you can cut it.  Your lawnmower has been sitting in the shed all winter and hasn't been cranked in months.  Small engines need to be cranked regularly and after sitting up all winter, your lawnmower will likely not start.  Most people who own lawnmowers don't know anything about small engines and don't want to fool with repairs.  It's actually very difficult these days to find someone willing to work on small engines.  So they head to the store for a new lawnmower.  What these people don't know is that there are a few simple things anyone can do to maintain or repair their lawnmower.  So before you buy a new one, try these: 1.  Replace the spark plug.  The spark plug looks like a little space rocket that screws into the engine.  They are approximately 3 inches long.  It will have a black rubber hose connected to the tip.  Disconnect the hose, unscrew the spark plug (may requi

FLIES IN YOUR EYES, AIN’T NO BIG SURPRISE

  FLIES IN YOUR EYES, AIN’T NO BIG SURPRISE By: Mick Blankenship                It feels like Ethiopia outside, and my friends and I can’t stop the heat. Mosquito, gnat, ant, and fleas have reunited this black summer with unlimited love for you as the Red Hot Chilin Pests.  By the way, the bugs around here will eat you up so terribly, there’ll be nothing left of you but your soul to squeeze. Twisting and turning, your bug bites are burning, they’re biting your girl.  Forget about relaxing on your front porch swing, these bugs will make you want to give it away.  The mosquitoes will wait for you under the bridge downtown.  They’ll have you drawing blood, and it seems they just can’t get enough.  The dark necessities of the ant will leave you so bitten up that you are left with scar tissue.  The flea will have you sucking his kiss from the other side of your sock, no matter where you wear it.  The gnats will make you want to get in your airplane and head west for some Californication, o